Image via Goodreads Image via Goodreads

March 3, 2011

Book Review | Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Published: February 1, 2011 [on Hardcover]
Pages: 441
Chapters: 26

Original Language: English
Source: Owned

Summary  

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

[via Goodreads]

* * * * * * * * * *

Delirium is my first book on YA dystopian and with the author, Lauren Oliver. I've been waiting for this book to come here in the Philippines and it took almost 2 weeks for me to wait. Then I set my eyes on this book instantly at the bookstore and didn't even hesitate to grab it and hurried away to the cashier, even though that time, I felt cheap to buy something for myself. lol! As long as books involve, I don't mind spending money.

This one ring-a-bell to me. Like, everyone recommends this book. I haven't got an eARC of this one though at NetGalley. But fortunately, I have one on my own. Without further ado, let's start shall we?

The Plot. This book is totally and absolutely brilliant! The whole storyline is extremely original! I was amazed in each chapters are incorporated with a very original extra lines. Like nursery rhymes, the Book of Shhh was the most compelling part of the whole book! I was starting to think I want to read all the contents of it! Even though it doesn't exist in real life!

One of the amazing part, was the slow progression of the story. I was sort of annoyed at first but it doesn't stop me from reading it! I loved how the entire world and life seemed to change in this book. Original, original, original. Creative. Creative. Creative. This book rocks on it!

Books never looses humor and this one didn't pull me down. There are part I really laughed. Drama, is breath-taking. Action? So be it! It does have it too! Over-all mixed up of amazing scenes -- that this book was never boring to me.

The Characters. Lena, the MC and the one to tell the story to her POV. I do say, I was pretty annoyed to her at first. She always speaks to herself that everything is just like a dream. She had this thing for rules. But in each chapters, she grew and grew more differently and I've becoming to like here the way she progress on the story. That's an awesome thing to read in the book. I love to see characters weak and ended up the strongest. I praise her development and so proud of her beliefs.

Alex. I liked him the first he appeared to the book. He was interesting and surprised of what he really is. There are part, I felt so much pity for him. Why? Why does the great man go? lol! :]

Minor characters are definitely hits with great awesomeness! Like Hana, Lena's best friend. And Grace, her little cousin. They're the best minor characters contributed to the story. Some of the characters were against Lena's unfortunate journey of life. They're did a great part of the book. Though, I admit I really hate them how they treat Lena. Argh! lol! :]

All of them are easy to love and you can feel the connection with them. You are definitely like inside the book!

The love and courtship were stated on the minimal part. Which is a good thing. Just kissing and romantic scenes [Romantic I mean no sexual contents]. Safe for our younger readers out there. And there is a definite lesson in here, I wanted you to read this one yourself.

Other thoughts. The time I finished this book, I felt unsatisfied -- of course in the good way. This tells me that I have to wait for the next one. To be honest, I can't stop thinking about this book. That feeling is so amazing! :]

Delirium is a one of a kind experience. It will make your breath taken away and make you want to read it again and again. You will absolutely gonna love it! :]

If you want to know how LOVE became a disease. I highly recommend this astounding book to everyone. Don't miss the excitement and there will be a next book coming out! And will definitely waiting for it! Salute to Lauren Oliver! :]

OVERALL RATING

Challenges:

1 comment:

a woman's right to shoes said...

I haven't read this book, but I must say I'm intrigued now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...