Image via Goodreads Image via Goodreads

January 15, 2011

Book Review: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, Book 1) by Rick Riordan
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Date Published: July 1, 2005
Pages: 375
Chapters: 22
Original language: English
ISBN: 978-1-4231-3494-7
Source: Owned

Summary

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.  With cover art from the major motion picture, this first installment of Rick Riordan's best-selling series is a non-stop thrill-ride and a classic of mythic proportions.


(via Goodreads)

******* 

A not-so-ordinary life of a boy named Percy. He was not as normal as the others. He often got kicked out of school because of his behavior. But all through his life, there are bigger things about him that he didn't expected.
I found about this book when the movie came out. The word Olympian swiveled instantly in my head -- meaning, Greek Gods. I have a small interest about those, but enough of that. I refused my self away from the movie first because I want to know the real details of the story. The book is a total bomb! KA-BOOM! Unexpectedly bizarre! I loved how Mr. Rick combined the two: Ancient Greek and modern day of life.

The story is really fresh. How would you expect Greek Gods are living in the modern life? How sick is that? The concept of the story is well thought out, I imagined how he (Mr. Rick) sum things up and results to a great story. The storyline never puts you to sleep because it is well-balanced -- the action, drama, adventure and of course the humor. From the start until the end of the book, was drowning with action-pack adventures that sends you out in excitement.

Mr. Rick created such wonderful characters, that will take your interest and attention. Each of them has a history to tell, which is very intriguing to read. Percy is one thing about the book, other than he is  the main character of the story. Imperfect. Normal like anybody else except he has the ability to control the element of water. Having an ADHD and Dyslexia is such a burden to carry. That might be so hard. But despite of those, he was a hero. He results to be an inspiration. And definitely, most kids would be able to relate to him.

The book is a great start to this series. Amazingly thrilling experience to read but at the same time, highly educational. You will realize you already know something about Greek Mythology. Awesome, isn't it? I do recommend you guys to read this book. This will be worth of your time. And not to mention the Gods and Goddesses, including the beastly, ugly monsters putting it up to a new set of story. KA-BOOM! :]

OVERALL RATING
 

3 comments:

Mia said...

KA-BOOM! You know what, I couldn't agree more. Percy is such a fantastic character or rather hero. He's definitely one of my favorite ;)

Courtney Rene said...

I have to say I had such high hopes for this book and I was...not as happy with it as I wanted to be. The story is okay, but I was bored during a lot of it. I wish I loved it as much as you did. Good review, nonetheless.

Liddy said...

Brilliant review! I LOVE these books they are awesome, I still need to read most of them though, but the first one was great!
I love all of the greek mythology elements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...